Five Reasons Rescue Animals Make You Happier; And Can Make You a Better Person
So many of us pet-lovers rescue an animal (or foster them, or take a whole handful, or ten!) in our lifetimes… They offer so much, as I’ve said many times: affection, love, companionship, and loyalty – just to name a few.
I am urging anyone who is reading this to research your local shelters, and, if it’s in the cards for you right now, get a rescue an animal this year instead of paying big bucks for a purebred.
There is a saying in the rescue world – and in the pet blogosphere, and in the world of pets:
“Adopt DON’T shop!”
Well rescue animals, like I have said a million times, need homes a heck of a lot more than an animal coming from a breeder (unless it’s a disreputable breeder).
In 2011, according to the ASPCA,
approximately five million to seven million animals entered animal shelters across the country. Approximately three to four million are euthanized (60% of dogs and 70% of cats) of those…
So, aside from the obvious, this is why and/or how rescue animals can make you happier; and why they make life better:
- A rescue animal has suffered isolation, starvation, and desolation. They remember – in their little heads that hold big old minds – what their previous lives were like. So when you take them home and become a companion to them; they are in love with you. You are their savior. You took them out of that dirty cage or cold cement enclosure and gave them a soft blanket or couch or bed that’s theirs forever; their own food bowls filled to the brim at meal times; petting and love at all times, and more. If you talk to them like many owners do – they listen. You can’t
understand them, but they hear you. They are showing their gratefulness and love- this makes you appreciate things more although you might not realize it right away.
- Rescue animals have a sixth sense – all animals do. They can tell when you are sad, emotional, angry, frustrated, tired and more. They will adapt to this situation to give you what you need: a head-butt, a few purrs with a rub of the ears, etc. You are happier when your pets acclimate to your attitude and it makes you a better person because you calm down – even though you might not realize it…
- Rescue animals are as strong as oak trees – although they might not show it. They will teach you to be the same.
- Rescue animals are not raised like puppies or kittens from a breeder. When they start to explore your house and understand things, their reactions are hilarious and will make you laugh heartily!
- Animal activity is scientifically proven to be therapeutic. For example, petting a cat for longer than two minutes lowers blood pressure and heart rates and can lower stress. This will make you a person who is easier to be around because, due to obvious factors, you will be easier to be around!